September 11, 2011

I Remember...

I remember where I was when I first found out about the events on the day of September 11, 2001.  I was forever changed by that day.  It brought to me an awareness of the people who sacrifice their safety to help.  I never thought twice about the dangers that face police officers, firefighters, soldiers, and many others that serve our communities and country. 

It was mentioned in my MOMS Club that we should do something in honor of September 11th.  I mentioned that I had heard of moms baking cookies and other goodies to deliver to their local heroes.  Many were very enthusiastic about doing this and so today, I am proud to say that we blanketed our community in thanks and showed our appreciation with baked good and this poem.

There are heroes who walk among us
never looking for glory or praise
They don't seek recognition
for their thoughtful, caring ways.
Living lives of deep commitment
providing for those they hold dear
Steadfast with a quiet strength
through times of laughter and tears.
You are a person like that to us
the most selfless one by far.
So we would like to thank you
for being the HERO that you are.

I am very proud to be part of an organization that is willing to so openly show our appreciation to others.  It was something we individually took upon ourselves to show our community that we care and pass on the lesson to our children that we are a part of something much bigger than just ourselves.  

Maben helped me bake cookies yesterday to deliver to the a Texas National Guard Armory in our community.  The soldiers were pleasantly surprised at our gift and our thanks.  My husband helped me navigate the halls, since once upon a time he reported there.  Colton helped carry a package of cookies, which he did not want to give away.  Maben stayed hidden behind me and I said, "Thank you!"  


I want to say, "Thank you!" to everyone who serves their country and community.  You are appreciated.  For all those who have paid the ultimate price, you are not forgotten!  You hold a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...